Friday, July 4, 2008

Noise, and new places to live

I'll probably bitch a bit about some of my favorite bitch topics in the first several posts, so you'll learn what I'm about...

I live in a condo in the metro area of a large Northeastern U.S. city. I got this condo after my LH (Late Husband) died. I'd meant to live here on my own, for at least 2-3 years, figuring at the rate I was going it would take me at least that long to find a guy who was actually good for me in my post-widowhood state, and get serious enough with him, to even think about moving or having him move in with me or whatever. Didn't work out that way - turns out the guy I had only recently met wound up being my new husband. For various reasons, when we officially moved in together last year after the wedding (having split time for a while before that between his place and mine), we decided to live in my place.

Unfortunately, for the second condo in a row, I have obnoxious, noisy, fairly-inconsiderate upstairs neighbors, with children no less. And unfortunately, it's a typically constructed building for its age and location (i.e. very little sound insulation between units). As in my last place, we hear A LOT related to the kids from the upstairs neighbors (I blame the adults, not the kids - it's the adults' responsibility to put down enough carpeting, not do noisy things like construction late at night or early in the morning, keep the kid from playing loud games at 6am on a Sunday in the master bedroom when they know about the sound carriage situation, etc.).

I just have to wonder why it is that nature/the universe/fate/God etc. thinks it's "funny" to make me live underneath three inconsiderate sets of neighbors with children in the last 6 years. Given that my LH and I had wanted to have kids, then he got cancer, then he died, and then I was a young widow living alone in a large condo, now remarried and struggling just to ovulate for starters, etc. - how is that fair? In the last building when we moved in, there were only probably 2-4 families out of almost 100 units who had kids - and yup, we lived below one set of them. Just my luck.

Now, whenever I hear the upstairs kid really get going running around, in addition to it being annoying to deal with the noise, I keep thinking how lucky they are. Back before she clued into the fact that we really were serious about their needing to put down carpeting (gee, they had only been there for over a year at that point and we'd been nicely asking them to put carpeting down given the noise for almost 5 months) and trying to be more considerate about the noise issues, I was friendly with the mom. She pretty much said she got pregnant accidentally. Yeah, not a problem I have. So while I know it is not their intent (clueless as they are), having to listen to their kid-related (and other) noise just rubs in the fact that I am still not a mom at 32, and that given the PCOS and anovulation issues, it's probably not happening any time soon. I can't help but be really jealous. Their daughter is adorable, even if she is very loud. *sigh*

Anyway, we are soon moving a little ways away! Probably in December. The place is all steel and concrete (sadly, I am EXTREMELY EXCITED about the building materials since it'll mean much less noise!) between the floors and sound-dampening drywall between the units, and we will be on the top floor! The place will be much bigger, which is great. But... I am also a little apprehensive about affording the larger mortgage, especially if the TTC thing gets expensive. (At the moment we have pretty good insurance through my job, but we'll see what happens with that.)

And... I worry sometimes that in getting the larger place before we actually conceive and it appears sticky, we're cursing ourselves. I'd had the larger place with my LH, and well... you know what happened with that. I wound up there alone and widowed.

Think positive, think positive... I bought the fan deck from a paint collection yesterday, so I can have some fun with that, dreaming of paint colors!

No comments: